Saturday, June 13, 2009

Transcendental Meditation

Meditation can mean different things to different people.
It can be used as a term to reflect, a way to gain insights or even a way to escape.
Since my book Danny and the Dolphin is about a journey into meditation, I wanted to write a little about what my definition of meditation is.
The Transcendental Meditation (TM) program is a simple, mental technique, which gives a unique quality of rest to the mind and body. It allows stress and tiredness to be released in a natural way, resulting in greater energy, clarity and enjoyment of life.
I learned to do TM in 1974, when I was 11 years old. I've always been a bit different from the mainstream, not fitting into the norm. Even as I age my life continues to be off the beaten path.
I like to see it the way Abraham-Hicks does. They call it "Being on the cutting edge."
While my grade school friends thought it was cool that I meditated, my sister made fun of me telling all of her friends that I was a nerd. My mother actually learned the TM technique herself.
Apparently I really didn't care what anyone thought because I kept on doing it.
I lived by the saying "If it feels good do it." So I did.
And 36 years later I'm still doing it...amongst other things that feel good!

TM may be partially responsible for the influence of some of the best music we have today.
The Beatles cemented Maharishi in pop culture when they traveled to his ashram in India in the late 1960s. At the time, anything the Beatles did prompted thousands to emulate them. Consequently, the practice of TM and Maharishi’s other teachings spread rapidly through Western Europe and the United States.
Soon, other musicians and celebrities practiced TM, including the Beach Boys, Donovan, The Rolling Stones, and Stevie Wonder. Even famed football quarterback Joe Namath took advantage of transcendental meditation’s benefits.
Today, many individuals in entertainment credit the practice of TM for helping them find true creativity and peace, including actor Stephen Collins, actress Heather Graham, and filmmaker David Lynch.

Here are some of the wonderful benefits of practicing TM:

• Reduced stress
• Deep relaxation
• Inner peace
• Improved health
• Greater creativity
• Increased efficiency
• Better relationships
• Improved sleep
• Clearer thinking
• Improved concentration
• Greater confidence
• Energy and clarity
• Reduced biological ageing

For more reading on this subject go to:
http://www.t-m.org.uk/benefits/

and to:
http://www.maharishi.org/

Today I appreciate inner peace
I appreciate my mind and the fascinating ways to use it
I appreciate having tools that help me to grow and have wisdom

No comments: